The marker measures 5 ft high, 6 ft. wide and 16 inches thick and is made from native fieldstone.
It was designed by Richard Oesterling, Jr. and constructed by Calvin James Kurtz
In 1959 the marker originally was erected at the southeast corner of Portman and Protzman Roads. In 1983 the marker was moved to a new site on Portman Road, 567 feet southeast of Protzman Road.
The new site was presented by Gene and Betty Oesterling of the Leonard Oesterling, Sr. branch, and much time and effort was donated by Earl Oesterling to have the deed conveyed to the Butler County Historical. Society. The Monument and its site are being cared for at the present time by Raymond Gene Oesterling who resides on the adjacent property. We appreciate his effort and care.